Although we have not seen an official notice on the MTO website, the OTA has announced that the MTO is considering delays caused by Idle No More protests blocking the highways to qualify as an Adverse Condition for your Hours of Service compliance (see Reg 555/06 Sec 15).
That means you may:
- extend your on duty and driving time for both the day and shift by up to 2 hours
- reduce your required off duty amount by that same amount
- exceed your cycle rules by the same amount
Make sure that the following conditions are met:
- in Remarks write that you encountered an Idle No More protest – give details of the location and time
- ensure that you don’t exceed the 16 hour elapsed time from the start of your cycle
- ensure that you are in compliance with your cycle the next day
- have a full 8 hour off duty period before starting you shift again
You do not need to make up the extra time on the next day, other than getting back on track with your cycle.